Monday, July 6, 2020

FROM THE ARCHIVES: Rules of the Confessional


This originally appeared in 2015.  It is a little out of date in spots but is mostly still good law.  Very minor emendations and corrections this time around.  We apparently have some Confessors who think that the persons of their fellow Confessors are fair game in exactly the same way The Ticket itself is fair game, and are stunned when their comments are bounced.  

Don't be.

Always best to stick to commentary on program content, host comportment, and the like, and refrain from impugning the character, brains, morality, or rectitude of your fellow MTC readers.

Thank you.

-- Plainsman


*     *     *

Attend, O Confessors.

This is intended to be a site for people who like The Ticket.  Maybe they have an issue here and there, but, in general, I want Confessors to be fans, or, as they have come to be known, "The P1."

I want people to like coming here and know they're going to be treated with respect, or at least not put down by witless, content-free snark.

And, should a Ticket employee wander by, I want them to come away with the impression that they've been in the company of people who care about the station and think carefully about their reactions to it -- not a bunch of snippy teenagers.

So forgive me if I advise that I'm weary of refereeing pissy little flame wars between readers who can't express themselves without taking a shot at others. 

And weary as well of visitors who apparently don't like anything about The Ticket, this site, or Your Plainsman.

Or don't forgive me.  Don't care.

My past warnings have gone unheeded.  So, much as I hate to do it, I'm cracking down.

Accordingly:

1.   Shots.   No criticisms of the person of any prior commenter.  If you have a disagreement, express your view in a way that addresses the issue or the facts or the opinion.  However, even brief phrases:

   --   impugning intelligence or motives of a prior commenter;

   --   asserting that prior commenters are all the same guy;

   --   suggesting that a prior commenter lacks reading or comprehension skills;

   --   suggesting that a commenter hasn't listened to the station enough, or for long enough, or is otherwise not a good Ticket citizen;

   --   is generally nasty towards another,

will cause your confession to hit the pail instantly.  Criticism of opinions is OK, but do it by making your own supportable point or making a legitimate debater's criticism of the prior comment.

I don't care how good your confession is in other respects.  The most brilliant comment that contains a phrase like "here's a thought -- listen to the station" will get bounced.

Subjective?  Absolutely.  Here's a rule of thumb:  Read your post before you send it.  If you see a phrase which, if it were said about you would upset you and make you want to respond in kind -- take it out.

2.    Vulgarity.  Don't use it.

3.    Tone.  Angry, hateful, threatening, overly emotional comments -- out.  I'm serious about all of these comments, and this one may seem slight, but I'm telling you:  Tone it down.

4.    Name-Calling.  Applies not just to fellow Confessors, but to anyone.  

5.    Stuff That's Just Too Wrong.  The other day got a comment from a guy ragging on T.C. and Corby.  Same old stuff, didn't like it, but met the standards in effect at that time.  Was going to publish, then noticed that he seemed to think that the midday host's name was "Stern."

[5.5  (added 03-07-15):  Commentary on subjects' personal lives is strongly discouraged.  Exceptions may be made if the matter relates to on-air events.]

6.   Anything That Strikes Me As Designed to Pick a Fight.  You figure it out.

Here's a further suggestion:  Cut and paste your comment into a file before sending it.  If you don't see your comment within a few hours, I've probably made it go away.   If you still think it's worthwhile, go back and figure out why I bounced it.  Fix it and resubmit.  [2020 comment:  This was written when I was forced to monitor comments, which I no longer do.  But it's still not bad advice if you think your comment might be on the edge and you might want to recast and resubmit if I trash it.]

Guys and dolls, I'm sorry about this, but I'm even sorrier that the comments have gotten so sorry.  I'd say a good third to a fourth of the comments that I published on the last thread would not have made it under the foregoing standards. 

You will be amazed at how easy it is to express your point of view -- even one that is critical of the point of a prior comment -- without impugning the character or talents of your fellows on this site.

Don't write me complaining about my judgment on comments.  I'm not interested.  You want the objective standard of unfettered commentary, there are other homes for you on the plains of the Internet.

Let's clean this site up.

One more thing.



[2020 comment:  The following is out of date.  I keep it in here as a historical curiosity.]

UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, THIS SITE IS NOT ACCEPTING ANY COMMENTS, PRO OR CON, ABOUT T.C. FLEMING.  He's a part of The Ticket and fair game, but the volume of comments on him since his return to BaD Radio and weekend shows is grossly out of proportion to his significance to The Ticket.  Also, I'm mortally tired of them and no one has anything new to say.  I'll advise when this prohibition has been lifted.  I'm inclined to bounce all comments that even mention his name.

"Ragonk" is permitted.


This means you.
Come on now.  Let's keep this site going.  Let's make it a place that attracts the attention of people who matter and where you can be heard without bringing a bunch of cheap crap down on your head.

And let's have some fun.

Thank you for shopping at My Ticket Confession.

*     *     *
ThePlainsman1310@gmail.com
@Plainsman1310

41 comments:

  1. We found out a lot about the people who visit this site over the last month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fine with left-of-center AND right-of-center commentary on The Ticket. Confessors have made reasonable criticisms from both directions. It's the flame-inducing personal attacks that are going to get kicked.

    One thing we should remember about how the hosts tee up their views: advertisers care. Listeners can boycott advertisers and advertisers can walk. Does this mean the hosts are necessarily insincere? No, but it does mean they sometimes walk a fine line unless they're tone-deaf. Look how some big American corporations are jumping on the "social justice" bandwagon; not finding too many defending Robert E. Lee statues and confederate flags.

    In the past, The Hardline was pretty t-d as regards gender issues. I was a little surprised they didn't face any organized backlash for misogyny, but guess Dallas wasn't a hotbed of organized feminism. Those days have mostly passed, thankfully.

    But, like most of you, I'd prefer no political talk one way or the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg!! I just had the misfortune of clicking on the Ticket and hearing Corby trying to sing!! Will I ever learn?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who is that Red Head and what is she doing the WASR10 I no longer own?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mention of TC reminds me: I miss Julie. seriously, I think her presence on BAD added something good to the show. When does she return?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will not be surprised when the day comes that Killer snaps and murders every host at the ticket. I guess if you are not tier one at the ticket you just better be ready to be their whipping boy and get shoved into your locker for the rest of your life there.

    Also I don't think the race bit was worthy of an entire segment on another show but I know they are hard up for material right now so I guess they just have to make do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The trailer for the Rhyner doc is posted up on the reddit site. While I am somewhat Mike'd out (in truth I think many are), it was worth my 2 minutes.

    A few thoughts:

    Seeing Hee Hoo made me awfully nostalgic for The Halcyon Days. And yeah, go ahead and call me "get off my lawn man" or "boomer" or "good old day syndrome guy." I could not give one shit. It was better back then. It was real, man. They were real. You can see it in the preview. There was an urgency, an intensity, and a genuine relatability about Mike, Gregg, the whole damn thing. No bleepin' band projects, no "fooj" or "hanj" or "doo doo as the __" bs. No sudden expertise on matters way above their pay-grade, much less talking down to or flat out scolding listeners --only to later say how they have a right or it's their job to do so and if you don't like it go screw yourself and besides just look at the ratings (man oh man are Joonz's ratings Tweets obnoxious and telling -what happened to him? So full of himself now-- btw, Joonz, it's a sign of weakness to do that sort of thing). None of it. They just fucking talked about sports and the stuff we all go through every fucking day in this mostly humdrum but sometimes heartbreaking and sometimes thrilling thing called life. And they did it in our own average, everyday parlance. Boy did they relate to us and we to them. It really was us vs. everyone else. By "us" I mean The Little One and the P1s. It wasn't about bits. Sure bits were/are good, but they were gilding the lily. Nowadays, for most listeners, bits are the sum total. Ugh. It kills me that this is the case. The loyalty, the love between station and listener was unlike anything this market had ever seen or will see again. I'm so grateful to have been there, to have been a part of it.

    I'm fairly certain the doc will for the most part be an uninteresting regurgitation of what's come before, but I'll watch it. If only to catch a glimpse of that singular greatness that once upon a time was The Little Ticket.

    One final thing: The preview does leave you with an ever so faint of a wonder, a cause to pause, a "huh," a "hmmmm," a "no way it could happen, right?" vis-a-vis an armistice of sorts between Rhyner and Greggo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI...

    https://radioinsight.com/headlines/190784/cumulus-media-hit-with-round-of-layoffs/


    On the heels of yesterday’s announcement of the upcoming shutdown of Westwood One News, Cumulus Media has begun a round of layoffs across the company.

    In a video message to employees on Thursday, CEO Mary Berner stated that the cuts will impact 3% of the company’s staffing. The company, will however, end its rolling furloughs and paycuts that started in April.

    Among those going public with their departures from the company are:

    Randall Wright – Creative Imaging Director of KPLX/KSCS Dallas who departs after 20 years with the cluster.

    Mike Peasley – Dallas Mavericks Insider and pre/post-game host for “ESPN 103.3” KESN. Peasley previously held the same duties for MLB’s Texas Rangers at the station.

    Evan ‘Brando’ Brandonisio – Producer and on-air host for “Rock 100.5” WNNX and Alternative “99X” W255CJ Atlanta.

    Brett Barney – departs as podcast producer for Cumulus Atlanta. Barney previously produced Shelley Winter and Shannon Burke’s shows on defunct “Talk 106.7” WYAY during his nine years with the cluster.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Norm's hand, if not already being, will soon be forced. And no, that doesn't mean Sirius gets a Varsity host gig. It means cuts are being made, not cuts and additions. That includes additions that don't cost as much as that which was jettisoned. All of this was coming down before the Vid. The Vid merely sped up the timetable, made it in some ways easier to execute. That's why Mike not so quietly left. That's why Car made the lineup changes he did. The not so long game is being played. It began around this time last year. If you think Mike "just felt it" and made the decision while on vacay to "retire," you're naive to say the least. Cat and co. we're not only informed long beforehand, they also helped to orchestrate it. Big picture, midterm looking toward the future stuff. No, Mike wasn't forced out, either. He just knew where things were heading in the industry, and heading fast, and didn't want to take that ride.

    Hold. Onto. Your. Butts. The. Ride. Is. About. To. Get. Bumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cat wanted Norm out. Dan Bennett stepped in and saved him. Also, Norm is the host of the highest rated show on the Ticket.

    But ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Said who, Surly? Some "insider" on your board? A well placed, close to the source, Reddit operative? Because those are your sources. I know because that's where I read the same.

    But ok.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang on a sec Surly. You’re saying that “The Norm and D Invasion” is the highest rated show on the Ticket? Based on what?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Based on the Nielsen Ratings

    M25-54

    6-10a: Ticket 6.0/ Fan 3.7 / ESPN 2.1
    10a-Noon: Ticket 8.4 / Fan 4.8 / ESPN 1.4
    Noon-3p: Ticket 5.5 / Fan 4.7/ ESPN 1.5
    3-7p: Ticket 6.8 / Fan 2.8 / ESPN 1.4

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, my demographic (55 and up) must be the ones intelligent enough to know The Hardline (The Woke Wussie Trio) sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm more interested in the Cat/Bennett b.s. Surly threw out. Source, please? I won't hold my breath because there is none other than his board, Reddit, or the likes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't know what I know
    But I know where it's at
    Just because I lost it doesn't mean I want it back

    ReplyDelete
  17. Plainsman: By ragonk, I assume you meant urgle?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anyone know the song where So Anonymous for those lyrics or the reference if it's not a tune? I couldn't find anything. Whenever So Anonymous pops up we best brace ourselves because something is about to go down. SO also told us in code who Mike's replacement was a week before it came down. If this comment is a code I'm too dumb to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's from The Hardline opening theme

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha! Right in front of my face! Thanks, Surly. Who says the line?

    So would it shock anyone if another major move was made? Like bringing back the OG BaD, moving it to pm drive, and having Corby and Jake middays. Or something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is Blake gone from BaD producer for good or is he on his forced Bora Bora trip?

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a) wouldn't shock me and b) would make sense is if Cat put BaD back together with Jake as an equal third host, moved them to pm drive and moved Corby and Danny to noon to three. This is what should've happened from the jump.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Better yet, move Corby to valet. I hear the garage is needing parking assistance!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Now more than ever, people think and make an opinion for yourself. Don't let these talking heads on TV or sports radio do the thinking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Who has said something on the radio out of line? The guys have all been in unison about wearing masks, social distancing, and staying home as much as possible. The nation hasn't, and here we are. This is not a political issue.

    ReplyDelete
  26. For some reason it really excites me to think about Mike Rhyner returning to the airwaves in some form. Man I hope it happens. To get Mike in a situation where he doesn't have to deal with 2 other people on the show going out of their way to control, stop things down, take it in another direction, and generally criticize anytime they find a way, would allow the original Old Gray Wolf to come back out to play. That sounds spectacular right now. It wouldn't even have to be in a sports context as far as I'm concerned. I hope it happens, I'd be a P1 Day 1. Stay Hard Mike!...tangent

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bob felt the need to jump on reddit and defend himself. Maybe it was the comparisons to Norm that motivated him

    https://www.reddit.com/r/theticket/comments/hrxqeb/bob_go_back_to_bad_radio/fy9ut1v/

    ReplyDelete
  28. He says "so far I never been part of a failure"...he's never worked strictly with Corby before.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Do any of you know what the hell I do for a living? Some of you have no foggy idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I say put BaD radio back together and move them to drive time. Put Corby with Jake in the noon slot. The change of BaD radio now has me not interested in anything past 10am. I used to LOVE BaD radio. Bob and Dan were great foils for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If the ratings are as good as Junior claims, there is no reason for Cat to change anything.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Junior's becoming a rather thin-skinned, ass hat.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Danny's playing the musician chewing out the lady that approached him. Am I the only one that thinks he acted like a pompous ass? He could have been a little nicer instead of embarrassing the broad? Danny, you're a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean she was being a jerk regardless of whether or not roni was active. Isnt it assault if someone touches you after you warn them to back off?

      Delete
  34. I love Lisa Loeb so much. Listening to her with the Musers took me back to early 20's pants chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I second the Lisa Loeb love.

    I have been trying to listen to both shows daily since they started and keep an open mind, and now I’ve come to the conclusion that SuperBad is a way better show than 3-7. Especially now that JD is back. I think they should find Bob some real partners and give the Corby and Danny Amateur Hour the boot.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Meatheads of the week is a hard, hard listen.

    ReplyDelete
  37. True. Meatheads ...alot of malarkey

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yo, Pshart. The great Peter Green passed. Not only was he the co-founder of Fleetwood Mac, but also be wrote "Black Magic Woman." Don't you owe his estate some royalties or something? Pour one out....

    ReplyDelete
  39. (1) There is a new -- well, sort of new -- post up today.

    (2) The royalty question is interesting, 209. (209 is referring to my Chicago radio parody from the Bulls-Lakers Championship Series, "Got a Black Magic Johnson.") The answer, in this case, is "no." Parodies (using a melody or lyrics) do not violate copyrights and are deemed "transformative works."

    ReplyDelete