Friday, January 18, 2019

Random Items



          (1) The Hardline is not out of the mainstream on this, but I am:  Season Two of "True Detective" was not terrible.  I thought it was very good, if not as linear as Season One.  Hard to follow, but I loved the atmospherics of sun-baked Los Angeles.  Had kind of a Twin Peaks getsalt that I enjoyed.

          (2)   Ditto Season Three:  It is being hugely overpraised by The Hardline (The Hardline?  Overpraising something?  Surely not)  and most other observers.  Again, I'm an outlier here.  The writing is sharp, but it suffers terribly from the Breaking Bad Disease -- endless lingering takes of Ali looking anguished, a la Bryan Cranston.  For having a two-hour premier, precious little happened except for shot after shot of said anguished Ali.  Hey, did the True Detectives kill that ex-con in the trunk?

          Two stars.

          (3)   Is that new Desperados ad the cheapest, cheapest-sounding, and overall worst commercial ever aired on The Ticket, with the possible exceptions of The Bulldog and those wall-removal guys with their ten-year warranty?  (What -- the wall might reappear after 10 years?  if the house falls down after ten years for lack of a supporting wall, no problem?)   Wait, I forgot those mortifying Tight Ends Sports Bar and Grill girls.  Good Jah, the mumbling, almost incomprehensible, unconvincing copy by some offspring of someone followed up with the goofy coda.  Awful.

          Is Desperados as good as the Ticket guys who get the free grub make it sound?

          Which makes me wonder if there is some review of commercials for suitability for the air.  Actually, I guess I don't wonder:  There must not be any.

          (4)  Any of you out there voting for the top Ticket moment?  I've heard so many of them so many times over the years I don't have much interest in it.  I've assumed the Nolan Ryan Great Snow Monkey Battle will win, but dunno.


15 comments:

  1. Never had Desperados, but it would appear that yelp, google, and tripadvisor agree that it's a 4+ out of 5 star place

    And you're indeed wrong about both S2 and S3 of True Detective, though I acknowledge I'm a huge Mahershala stan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, he's good all right. Very arresting onscreen presence. He can't help how the show is directed and edited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think season 2 had the unenviable task of reaching the high bar set by season 1. That was asking a lot. I was let down by season 2, as they said Vince Vaughn was probably miscast. But I'm totally on board with season 3. Just hope they can keep the momentum going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desperado's is the tits. Their nachos alone are worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that S2 of TD wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be, but disagree with you on S3 - it has been greatness so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P-man - What fortuitous timing on this post. I actually had lunch at Desperado's today. The woman that lives with me for free had a doctors appointment not far away from the Greenville Avenue location. So I hitched the mules to the wagon and we left East Texas for the shiny city.

    Let me tell you it was pretty damn good. I had beef and chicken enchiladas. The SO had brisket tacos and we both enjoyed the food, the fast service, the cervaza for me and the jalapeno margarita for the little lady (listed as a Mexican Martini on the bill).

    Here is the kicker. There was a guy circulating the restaurant checking on people's experience. I asked him if he had a hand in advertising and he turned out to be one of the owners, Jake(?). We talked about the commercial and he said he and his brother were in the studio recording and were just kinda goofing around, not planning on using it. But I think they kinda left it out there as a bit.

    Jake and his brother are big P1's and enjoy having a booth at Ticketstock. He said they were sponsoring a driving range at TS. So go support Desperado's and fellow P1's.

    Anon 1:53, I will try the nachos next time.

    ET P1



    ReplyDelete
  7. Best Ticket moment:

    Greggo interrogates the Commissioner

    Honorable mention:

    Lee Corso

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greggo: I'd like to apologize to all of my listeners.

    Greggo: Don't want ya, yer fat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do we know what the top moment of the past 25 years is yet? I think it is a no brainer. What um.. Do you like this gig...?

    Most overrated - Gordo arrest in Green Bay. Big whoop

    ReplyDelete
  10. Episode 3: More endless takes of Ali anguish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I second James's query.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie's on a family vacation. She posted on Instagram from Canada the other day. Stars are on bye week so her husband is off.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good to hear. Take off to the Great White North, take off, it's a beauty way to go, eh!

    ReplyDelete