Thursday, April 18, 2019

A Sports-Talk Pioneer Passes from the Scene -- Chet Coppock, RIP


This will not mean much to most of you, unless you're really, really tied in to the history of sports-talk radio in the United States of America.

It has lost a great one.

Without Chet Coppock, there would be no MTC.

I won't say there wouldn't have been a Ticket, or a WFAN in New York, or a Score in Chicago.

Wikipedia:

"In 1984, while working as sports director at WMAQ radio, Coppock approached the station about creating an in-depth, interview-driven radio sports talk show. The move led to the creation of Coppock on Sports, a show in which Coppock spoke with athletes, coaches, GMs and media members in a longer, un-cut magazine format. The show's success spawned numerous imitators."

That's 1984.  Not 25 years ago.  That's 35 years ago.  And yes, numerous imitators popped up.  Was The Ticket one of them?  I can't claim that.  But his show was an evening-radio-ratings-Death-Valley sensation. Someone must have taken notice.

After that, he moved his show to WLUP in Chicago, where I and my band Lower Wacker Overdrive were a fixture doing parodies for the Jonathon Brandmeier show during morning drive.

Chet was a glad-hander, a grab-asser (probably got him dismissed from his 10 PM News sports anchor job on NBC's WMAQ), a name-dropper, a quintessential Chris-Chris.  He had a high-energy delivery, sometimes saying things that would make you shake your head:  About a particular sports accomplishment:  "If that's not a record, it oughtta be."  Have you thought about it?  He was brilliantly and hilariously parodied weekly by Bruce Wolf on the Brandmeier show as "Chet Chit-Chat."  (Elements of Chicago sports guy Chuck Swirsky in that parody as well.)

He was very tall, blond, full of BS, but I tuned in every night to listen to him and Dangerous Dan McNeil (still on Chicago sports radio to date, had a stint at ESPN) run down hot sports opinions, get amazing interviews, plug restaurants where he probably got comped, and generally amuse the population.  Think of a Howard Cosell who would have been accepted at a WASP fraternity.   He was relentlessly outgoing and cheerful.  Never saw the man without a smile on his face.



He would come into the East Bank Club where I was a member (cue Vivaldi), schmoozing with the movers and shakers and chatting up the amazing skirts that would hang out there.

And in those days when I was trying to think of how I could make money without working, I put down on my list:  all sports-talk radio station.  Did I ever do anything about it?  No.

But he kindled my interest in radio (alongside Johnny B).  He never founded an all-sports station, but he was a pioneer.

He was killed as a passenger in an automobile accident a few days ago.  He was 70.

I would hope that Mike R would have heard of him, and might pay tribute.

But if no one at The Ticket has heard of him, or noted his passing, I wanted to make sure that I did so.  If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have discovered an interest in sports-talk radio -- as you may have discerned, my knowledge about actual sports is pretty sketchy -- as the most entertaining thing on the AM and FM dials.

He would say to callers: "Your dime, your dance floor."   Chet Coppock, RIP.


theplainsman1310@gmail.com
@plainsman1310


30 comments:

  1. I used to have Mike R's email address, but it's not popping up for me any more, and they no longer list addresses on The Ticket website. (Just a link that never opens.) I'd like to send him this. Anyone know his EM address?

    Inexplicably, he doesn't follow me on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try hardliners@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chet Coppock was absolutely my guy and the first man who blew my mind as a sports-talk host in the mid 80's-early 90's when I lived up there. I could not believe a show that great could exist and I probably had some level of imitation for most of my career of the way he did things. I did not know he passed until right now and am now properly bummed out. Thanks for bringing this legend's death to my attention, Plainsman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I follow Rhyner on Twitter so I tweeted a link to the Chicago Tribune story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if he was the genesis of the idea of Norm doing a morning drive time sports talk show at KLIF in 1985?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know. I suspect a lot of stations had a similar idea at around the same time. But Chet really woke up AM evening radio with his show, so maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't catch BaD today. Please let me know if Bob mentioned Chet Coppock's passing. Tx. P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep...I moved to suburban Chicago in the mid 80s and stumbled on to his show. Other than Johnny in the Morning, there was no other show I'd make a point listen to except Chet's, especially when McNeal was on because he'd actually talk about hockey. Chet always had great guests and the interviews were solid. Dude was 10 years ahead of the curve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here are a few links you might like about the passing of Chester: https://670thescore.radio.com/blogs/bruce-levine/levine-my-friend-chet-coppock-left-lasting-legacy and https://theathletic.com/933502/2019/04/19/dollars-and-sense-pay-homage-to-chet-coppock-the-godfather-of-chicago-sports-radio/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks, Bob.

    I've been surprised and gratified by readers who experienced the greatness of "Coppock on Sports" and Chet's genial bombast during their time in Chicago. I truly do think he was a pioneer of the genre of which The Ticket is now the premier exemplar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unrelated to this post: is anyone besides me convinced that the

    "Umm, Paul in, uhh..."

    drop has been played so many times it's no longer ever going to be funny, under any circumstance?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Umm, no, I expect it and play it in my mind even if they dont.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Still funny. It would be my hope, when I leave this mortal coil, you will hear a moment of silence and touching off mic tribute. I have been assured I am covered on that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Birdy chirped that an offspring of a certain DFW area sports team is having marital issues. Who will clean the owners glasses?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you saying Spaulding is about to get the Pro Bowl treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Surly

    Yes, very scandolous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fellow P1's -

    Just booked a flight to Atlanta for a long weekend with the YD (young daughter, how Rhyner used to refer to young Jordan).

    What were some of the places that The Hardline said was a must see when they were out there for the Super Bowl.

    ET P1

    ReplyDelete
  18. East Texas P1

    The Hardline and some others raved about the Civil Rights museum in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sorry, but Marge is freaking hilariousl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the Dooce, but no more Doocy's Diary.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Eternal rest and perpetual light, Chet Coppock. One of the greatest.
    What I remember most:
    "AAAAALLLLLright..."
    "We go LIVE...."
    and always the middle name, "Michael. Jeffery. Jordan", and "Peter. Edward. Rose",
    "180lbs of rompin' stompin' in your face, pure-energy..."
    "gut-check time"
    "You've punched your ticket to the locker room"

    ReplyDelete
  22. After the events at the Derby today, Norm will be must-listen radio Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I heard on a commercial today that the Corby Camp-pound is coming up. That's the time of year when, no matter when you turn on the Ticket, you'll hear Corby's voice sparing everyone to death!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just got off from work, got in my car, turn on the Ticket and yep, I get Rhynes, Donnie, and you guessed it...CORBY!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sorry fellas, I like the Corby/Donnie/Mike team as Mike can relate to how two dudes black and white of the same age relate to issues with Mike as a monitor. I'm in their age range, so they kept me laighing
    Jake calling in kinda took it over the edge in a deeper talk.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well DA, I'll have to take your word for it...I changed stations.

    ReplyDelete
  27. we get it Slinky. Over and over and over we get it

    ReplyDelete