Monday, April 15, 2019

Top Fake Laughs on The Ticket


[Not the STD.]

This is a bit of a misnomer, because not all of the laughs mentioned here are fake.  In composing this list, I tried to think of what various host's laughs sounded like, and I couldn't come up with some of them.  They may be secret chortlers, larfing under their breaths when bemusement overtakes them.  I ended up with a very short list.  From worst to first, and I will welcome corrections and nominations from the Confessor who may pay better attention than I do:

(4)  Corby Davidsion.  With the departure of T.C. Fleming, he will be at the bottom of any list, no matter how many other hosts or JV are included.  His shrieking, choking, breathless yowl at even the slightest funny leaves listeners bewildered at his comedy standards.

(3) Craig Miller.  This one isn't entirely fair.  Sometimes, Craig is left as the only voice left in the studio to support Gordon's bits where George is also an actor.  I have written in the past at the artfulness of his intelineated laughter to keep the bit going, which is why he is, among other reasons, the Fred Astaire of The Ticket.  Also, Craig tends to be somewhat on the acidic and judgmental side, so it is hard to imagine him laughing voluntarily at lame stuff.  He does it anyway, and he does it quite well, but not as well as:

(2) George Dunham.  His laughter is less prominent than Craig's, but because he's skeptical of much of Gordon's humor to begin with, when it appears it is warmer and more sincere.

(1) Donovan Lewis.  The hand's-down champ.   His guffawing always sounds genuine.  Makes me want to laugh along with him.

Honorable Mention:  Julie Dobbs.

The discerning Confessor will notice an absence of candidates from BaD Radio, except HM for Julie.  No particular reason for that.  In fact, I'm listening to more BaD than I have in many years.  It's just that when I think of their show and try to remember what a Bob/Dan/Jake's giggle sounds like, I draw a blank.

Well  .  .  . no, no, I think I'm wrong about that.  I'm having an aural memory of Dan sometimes cutting loose with what sounds like spontaneous hilarity.   I think I might rank him in pretty close to a tie with George, high on the sincerity scale.

Let's not turn this into a Corby Sux thread, OK?

OMAHGERD!  This site's been around almost ten years?  I can't believe no one ever told me about it!  It's the best and full of merry japes and jests!




10 comments:

  1. CORBY SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUX!!!!!!!!!!!

    OK, now that I got that off my chest, for me Bob (who's my favorite host) has the worst fake laugh. Joonz's is so obvious that it's comical. Bob's is just awful. (Honorable Mention: Norm.) Best laugh George. Hands down. Once he gets going no one tops him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe never if I can't get my desk cleared of excessive plains administration duties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somebody's going to have to help Corby off his knees the way he keeps servicing Tiger! Hey Corby, not everyone is the golf goober guy you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon 4:34

    Or a GoT fan. I don't watch it and don't want to listen to goobers Danny & Corby talk about it. Instant punchout.

    ET P1

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not being a Corby defender here, but I somewhat tuned out of online conversations when I hear complaints that a Ticket host spends too much time talking about a particular sport or event. The fact is, some listeners don't like to hear about golf. Others don't like to hear about football contracts. Or hockey. Or baseball. I am one who would rather not hear all the NFL draft coverage.

    But if Corby somehow managed to run across this site and see your comment, he'd be right to ignore it, because there's no practical way to do segments that everyone wants to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Batten down the hatches, Confessors. I can't afford to lose a single one of you.

    Although . . . come to think of it, since the site is free, I guess I can.

    But take care of yourself and your loved ones anyway, please.

    -- Plainsman

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally agree with James @9:13. Not everything can be for everybody.

    As for me, the "analyze the Cowboy's schedule the day after release" is an immediate punch-out. Fortunately by that point I was playing catch-up in the Sportsday app, so I could just skip over.

    PRE-(PRE!)-acknowledge YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delkus lied, no people died

    ReplyDelete
  9. Plains, are you serious? Corby 4th on fake laugh? If you Google "fake laugh", the first 34 pages will be Corby!

    ReplyDelete