Sunday, August 4, 2019

My Zack Greinke Story


A couple of days ago The Hardline was telling Zack Greinke stories.  I believe it may have been on Mike's Mind. 

Mike was actually able to get in a few fun Grienke facts without interruption.

I have a Zack Greinke story.  It's not much of a story.

Greinke first played major league ball for the Royals, from 2004 to 2009.  I believe this story took place during a time when he was fairly celebrated, which would have been early on, and then again starting in 2008.  Timing isn't important.

He lived in a nice condominium building in Kansas City.

My sainted Aunt Norma lived in the same condominium building.

She had two Royal fan sons and two Royal fan grandsons.

It was well known even at the time that Greinke had a social anxiety disorder, and condo residents had been instructed to leave him alone.  Which they did.

But Aunt Norma thought perhaps she had a harmless way around it.  She baked a big batch of cookies and left four baseballs at his door with a note respectfully requesting autographs.

Greinke obliged.  I don't know if he left the baseballs back at her door, or left them outside his door which she then picked up when checking on her scheme.  But he signed 'em.  Mike R remarked that, for all his shyness, he is much better with young fans.

That's my Zack Greinke story.  Aunt Norma, RIP.


4 comments:

  1. Graaaainkeee. Southern Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only able to listen in bits and pieces this morning. Question: Does Donovan's "Dominos" charity thing refer to the game or the pizza? I'm not kidding -- I haven't been able to listen enough to tell whether it's "dominoes" the contest, or "Domino's" the sponsor. Thanks.

    I suppose I could check the website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's little to no info on the website - at least not the other day when I tried to get more info.
    But from listening to the complete spot a couple of times, seems it's a dominoes tournament at redbird mall on 8/31. There will be a competitive and friendly bracket. I'm sure those aren't the names, but whatever. And prizes. 10a-2p.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Musers gently musing while under the influence?

    Yeah, I'd be listening....

    ReplyDelete