The Orphanage closed its doors today.
I didn't get to hear much of the Orphanage or any of the handoffs today, just a few minutes'-worth, unfortunately. A very few quick hits:
(1) Danny said in a kind of roundabout way at the beginning of the show that at this stage of his life he wants his Saturdays back, and that if they were going to have been fired it would have been done a long time ago. I see no reason not to believe that the departure of The Orphanage was entirely voluntary, claimed overheard bar talk to the contrary notwithstanding.
(2) Jeff Catlin (stay tuned for more Jeff) has let it be known at The Ticket that he's will entertain proposals from younger Ticket guys to fill the 10-noon Saturday slot.
(3) Mike Sirois said that Cirque was offered that time slot and turned it down. He said he had no idea what would replace the Orphanage.
(4) He also said that awhile back Cirque had been offered Sunday mornings, now occupied by The Shake Joint. Cat, he recalled, had tried to sell it as the most desirable of the weekend slots.
(5) He called the Sunday morning show "the little analytics guys" and did not mention the show or its hosts by name.
(6) He also suggested that the ability to attract remotes was important to the profitability of the weekend shows.
* * *
I understand why some people didn't care for the Orphanage, but I really liked it. Are Danny and Davey sort of clinging to an adolescent-to-mid-twenties lifestyle that sometimes fit oddly on men approaching the half-century mark? Sure -- but geez, I'd like to go back to those times and live like that again myself if I could. I don't begrudge either of them the time or lifestyle choices to allow them to keep up with current music, hit the clubs, play in bands, open bars (and close them), thumb their noses at critics, and make jokes on the radio.
And they handled it with enough self-deprecation to suggest that they knew they were in on the joke, in fact, kind of were the joke, and were OK with it.
So I very much regret that when the announcement came, I was not holding my butt. Orphanage, RIP.
[Comments to this site are moderated.
Before posting, please read Rules of the Confessional. Thank you.]