Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Is This the Best Show on The Ticket?


It's a whimsical question, of course.   There's no "best" show; each listener has a favorite.  The weekday lineup has never been stronger, with the strengthening of BaD.2 (I know I'm in the minority in thinking Bob and Dan needed to be separated, and not everyone cares for Jake, but for my taste the show sounds real good) and the enormous improvement in The Hardline.  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Norm 'n' D is also in its prime with the increased role of Mike Sirois.  And the Musers --  well, there isn't much room for improvement there.  I'm a fan of Cirque du Sirois and Country Force, too.  Let's not forget specialty shows The Teebox and The Kickaround and Race Week, each of which has its partisans.

But the show I've been looking forward to the most for the last year is Work in Progress, the Sunday morning joint hosted by Justin Montemayor and David Mino.



If you've been reading this column for a long time you know I have a soft spot for the JV.  They may not toil in anonymity down there south of Tier 1, since The Ticket lets them get a little air now and then, but they toil a lot for a tiny wage (supply and demand -- lots of younger adults wanting to get into show biz, even behind the scenes, and not many slots to fill).  A tiny wage, and very uncertain opportunities for advancement.  So I like to bring them front and center and say nice things about them when I can.

I've liked Justin for as long as I've heard him on the air at The Ticket.  Usually just snippets in the midday shows where he had board duties, or maybe he produced now and then -- those lines tend to blur with me for some of the on-air voices of lesser-known players.  But his pop-ons were usually invited rather than forced and I instantly liked the sound of his voice, his attitude, and his content.  Didn't know one thing about the man.  Just a great radio sound, a real natural common-man Tickety sound.

Wait -- I did know one other thing:  I knew that Gordon worked his name into bits now and then.  For example, when The Touchdown Brothers sign off, more often than not they promise an upcoming interview with Justin Montemayor.  I figured if Gordon was teasing him that much, he must have some kind of cachet around The Ticket, either that or the kind of visibility -- and thick skin -- that caught Gordon's attention.

David Mino:  I knew he was considered a worthy heir to Dropmeister Michael Gruber on The Hardline's board and the target of Mike Rhyner's "bird of youth" references in the intro.  (Did we ever find out why he was dropped from the MR intro for an extended period?)  And once in awhile we heard from him.  Didn't make a huge impression, but yeah, OK, he was noticeably adding to the fun.

Justin hit the programming scene with "Not a Podcast" with Mike "Machine" Marshall, a show I also liked a lot.  Well, I liked it for awhile.  Did some columns on it early on, but it changed over time.  We won't dwell on that.  Machine moved on and Not a Podcast is Not Anything now.

In the early days of Work in Progress, Justin really ran the show.  David was finding his way but it wasn't too long before he got a whole lot more comfortable with the mic.  As time has gone by, I have really come to like the sound of his voice.  He has an interesting cadence, an appealing way of accenting certain words.  Even that ad for the apartment complex -- for some reason I can't begin to describe, the way he says "a great place to lay your head" always makes me smile.  At this point, the gents have achieved a nice balance.

At this point, it's really not a work in progress anymore; it's a pretty polished, integrated presentation that always entertains me.  I'm not a younger listener, but I find that they manage to bring some cultural awareness to the show without being snotty or inside or elitist about it -- I've learned something about shows and music and internet entertainment to which I had no prior exposure. 

And they're both funny.  Their humor is of the dry, self-deprecating, deprecating-one-another-like-friends-do type, but it hits the right pitch for a Sunday morning.

Sports knowledge -- I'll say "solid," but since I don't know a whole lot about sports myself, I'll have to say that I like it as much as I like any of the sports coverage on any of the shows.  Neither is Bob Sturm, but neither is anyone else.  

But I don't want to get too molecular here.  I just like the sound of the show, its good-naturedness, its modesty, its humor, the obvious friendship between Monte and Mino.  I know I talk a lot about the overall "sound" of the shows on The Ticket, a sound unlike what you get on any other show on any other station.  It is hard to create (it must be, or more shows would be doing it) and it is hard to describe, but Work in Progress has it.  They keep the bits to a tasteful minimum.  They prepare the show each week, but they don't over-prepare it.  It has the same spontaneous, genuine feel that the best Ticket shows (which is to say, almost all of them) have always had.

And there's something else they do well that some programs have stumbled over -- they work in a group of support guys but they don't overdo it -- there's never a jumble of voices that you can't quite identify.  Those skillful supporting players are Chris Tapia running the board, "Cray" Trey Mitchell producing, and Ryan Medellin with Tickers.  Sam Hale fills in if Cray Trey or Ryan are unavailable.  

Hey, this ain't exactly the New York Times make-or-break theater review, but if you can haul your ass out of bed on a Sunday morning, give these men a try.  Good sound, good stuff, and to the extent you can get a feel for human beings through buds, good people. 

Image result for stunning redheads

  

ThePlainsman1310@gmail.com
@Plainsman1310


28 comments:

  1. I rarely listen on the weekends, so any opinion I offer would be an ill-informed one. But as for Mino: isn't he the one who put together the drops of Danny giving directions? Like they'd be talking about something, anything, and you'd hear Danny saying "you take I-35 north for about 7 miles". When those first started rolling out, they were hilarious. Always expertly timed. It seemed to catch Danny off-guard, too.

    So why did they stop all of a sudden? Surely it's not a thin-skinned thing with Danny, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like WiP and have commented on it several times here. I think Mino and Justin are a good, if not great, combo. I tend to like Justin more and was kind of bummed when he didn’t get the producer slot for “Super Bad Radio”. I mean, Blake? Really?

    WiP is, essentially, the millennial show for TheTicket. It’s often good, but feels a bit spare. I don’t like Mino was much as some do. He’s okay, but kind of droning/boring as a voice and tries a bit too hard with his drops as the TD. Still, if these two had more to work with (meaning sports), it’d be fine. Left to their own devices? Not so much.

    End thoughts: Justin needs to look into SOTA for his own good. Mino? Well, he’s probably where he deserves to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Agree Plainsman. I’m a huge Monte and Mino fan. I think they are both very funny and interesting to listen to. I’m in the top end of the demo but they can keep an old fart like me listening. They don’t talk down to the listener or get on social\political rants....unlike Cobby and Dingu. I hope they continue to hone their skills and get more air time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do wonder that when things do get back to a semblance of normalcy if 3-7 (and Bob in particular) will suffer from Corby and Dannys' daily, unceasing and oft times shrill "analyses" will have any repercussions? Because man I'm back to pre-Bob move listening. That is, I tune in only to tune out within 1st hour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Same here 1:19. I Listen the first hour and punch out afterwards every time. It’s just not working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite me really liking Bob, I have to agree. The 3-7 line up is a "trying to put a square peg in a round hole" to use Ticket vernacular. It doesn't work and it's not Bob's fault. Along those lines, 12-3 bores me, too. I find myself listening to more Podcasts and less of that time slot. It used to be my absolute favorite. Now both 12-3 and 3-7 are both diluted (3-7 was always horrible to me anyway) and I've lost interest almost completely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think 3-7 pre CV19 was well on its way to greatness. Post CV19, it's become D&C's Freak Out Extravaganza. Bob went from beginning to steer the helm, his proper place, to swabbing the deck. I don't know if the show recovers post CV19. Yeah, it's that difficult to listen to now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I the only person who makes sure to listen to WTDS just for L4G's jokes.

    ET P1

    ReplyDelete
  11. ETP1: When I get a chance to listen to WTDS it's primarily for L4G comments and jokes. Gughree.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Though this touches on Virus Talk, it is related to the Ticket's coverage.

    I find myself getting as frustrated with The Musers' (primarily Craig's) reporting on virus projections, etc. I typically just get to listen to the very early stuff (5:30-7ish) but for example they started today with very inaccurate reporting on what Dr. Fauci said over the weekend. It borders on Corby level of headline-skimming and mis-reporting. One of the main things that made me check out on the old Hardline. I am very surprised and frustrated as it seemed like they were a LITTLE more thorough on the Musers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I listened this morning very early as well (5:30-8:30). What did Craig misreport on? I'm not aware enough, I guess. I missed what he said that was inaccurate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can sometimes get stuck on what some would consider minor technicalities, but to me, in a situation like this, it's important. Granted some of it may be just shortening to fit the time slot they had, but opposed to a lot of things they talk about this has a much bigger impact.

    Fauci said it *could* be 100k-200k deaths, and 1m to 2m cases. Could be. Craig reported that as Fauci said we'd have 200k deaths and 2m cases. Fauci also said that relaxing the social distancing rules would make this happen. Keeping strict on the stay-at-home stuff would keep the numbers down. Fauci also said this is a moving target, so none of these predictions should be taken as a solid number.

    If you just skimmed some headlines, you'd see what Craig reported. If you read any stories or actually watched the press conference, it'd have a little better balance or perspective to it.

    At first I didn't see it, but now it's clear they do tend to lean to the worst-case scenario thinking on that show. For the first time in over 10 years, I may reduce my listening just because I don't need the extra stress. I'll find the facts first, then I'll listen so it doesn't impact me as much.

    YMMV.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 10:21, that's not what Craig said. He said Fauci reported we could have 200k deaths, worst case, and that Trump said without the measures put in place we would have had 2m deaths, which is exactly what Fauci and Trump said yesterday. All in all, I think all of the shows are doing a pretty good job with the numbers and reports, considering they are all changing by the hour. There is a lot to sort through.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We will have to agree to disagree.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are the Musers more worried about A-I with Corona capabilities or Corona with A-I capabilities?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, guys. I have zero idea what the hell idea is going on; kinda drunk. Rock on.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kind of interesting what Bryan Curtis had to say about the potential ramifications to sports media like what is happening at Fan Graphs with no baseball happening. How would the ticket be affected if there were no sports for the remainder of this year? I find myself to be in this camp with each passing day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What happens if the wallets tighten up and advertising goes away?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous 10:25

    Interns and support staff go away, lots of Public Service Announcements, no station promotions (fight night, Summer Bash, Ticketstock) and the return of the strip club ads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most interns are unpaid college students who acrue credits theough slave labor at a radio station. But schools are closed so ... but i love PSAs. Maybe some “we just capped COVID’s ass”

      Delete
  22. I mentioned the advertising conundrum in a different topic thread. Why would a strip club do ads on The Ticket when they can't operate? I think you hear more 'debt consolidation' and 'low interest loans' type of thing. The longer this goes on, the more their advertising dollars shrink to nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have heard people at other stations say interns have to be paid now. Not sure if it was their companies policy or if something has changed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Unless law has changed very recently, interns either must be paid or receiving college credit. And if they are receiving college credit, they are limited in what they can do.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Right. Unless there is some specific statutory or regulatory exemption, all employees must receive at least minimum wage, no matter how crummy the job.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome!888seats
    Thaks for nice post.

    ReplyDelete