Monday, September 21, 2009

Mark Elfenbein -- A Very Unique Broadcaster

I'll have more to say about Mark Elfenbein in the future. In general, I think he has a terrific show.

Something occurred to me the other day as I was listening to the program: He is the most explicitly Jewish program host on any station I can recall in the past several decades in the several markets I'm familiar with. There may be programs and even entire stations dedicated to subjects of interest to members of the Tribe -- I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about a general-interest talk-show host. His inflections, his insertions of Yiddish phrases and words -- that just isn't something you hear a lot in these times of homogenized talk radio.

I find it refreshing and charming, although from time to time the Tribal references are a bit . . . inside and forced. But it's a really unique cadence for a radio host -- especially a sports radio host -- and The Ticket deserves some credit for programming a host of his particular flavor for local programming on a Sunday morning, when they could be running some of the unbearable syndicated stuff.

Overall, a well-done, aurally distinctive program.

No comments:

Post a Comment