Sunday, November 7, 2010

AND AGAIN -- WHERE'S GREGGO?

I'm going to need a hand from knowledgeable Confessors here:

I'm listening to the Cowboys pregame on The Ticket.  Sean Bass and Larry Brown.  They're doing a great job, a very impressive show.   Sean has prepped and it shows.  I've never been wild about Brown, always thought he was OK, but today he seemed to have some really good insights on what was going on with the Cowboys.

And Todd Archer -- on fire!  The best I've ever heard him.    Really incisive commentary on what was going on with the Cowboys.  Why don't we get this Todd on The Ranch Report?  I'm wondering if the Cowboys' suckitude frees some of these pundits to say what they think.  It's clear that sources within the Cowboys are worthless -- there is no reason in the world to worry about Cowboys insiders not talking to you if you're publically critical.  Whatever the reason, he basically implied that Wade Phillips is constitutionally incapable of telling the press the truth about his players.  Good stuff.

But that's not important now.

I thought I'd switch over and listen to the Fan 105.3 Cowboys pregame.  I'm not sure who all the personalities are on that show.  Coach Joe and another guy, and another guy, and Greg Williams.  I don't think Richie Whitt was on this pre-game.   But I will tell you this:  (1) I heard Greggo's voice briefly, see below.  (2) Christie Scales, after her hilarious interview with Jerry, sent it back to three people she named, one of which was "Greg."  (Jerry was almost rude, had no interest in answering questions, the shortest Jerry answers in history, and Christie was brilliant, having another question ready immediately when Jerry would clam up.  This may have been edited, but it sounded to me like Christie was totally on the ball.)    And I see in my internet research that the Hammer is supposed to be on this pre-game show.

OK, here's what I heard:  They were talking about "the frozen tundra" of Lambeau Field, and that led to a mention of NFL Films narrator John Fassenda, and one of the guys said that Fassenda was the best voice of the NFL, and then you heard Greg say:  "I resent that."  I guess it was supposed to be a joke, but since Greggo is not the voice of anything, it didn't make any sense, and the other guys on the broadcast were clearly taken aback.  In retrospect, I wonder whether maybe it was a drop.  But I don't think so.


That was the last I heard from Greggo for the hour or so remaining on the broadcast.  His name was never mentioned again.   When they were talking to Brad Scham, he referenced "Joe" and one other guy by name -- I was jogging at the time and didn't have any way to write this stuff down, was it "Wally"? -- but no mention of Hammer, and when the show signed off, his name was not mentioned.

So here's the question -- did Greggo just blow it again?  I did not hear the first part of the show, so I can't say 100% for sure that he was even on the show.  I certainly heard his voice, but it was so brief that, as I say, I can't say it wasn't a drop.  He apparently is supposed to be on the show, at least as of the time that Christie Scales taped her interview with Jerry.  But for at least the last hour of the show -- no Greg Williams.

So -- have we just experienced another Greggo the Hammer meltdown? 

Sorry I don't know any more about the personalities who are supposed to be on the Fan Cowboys pregame.  All I can say is that if Greg Williams was on that show, then he ran into a problem well before the show was over and was gonzo for over an hour before it ended.  If not, then I apologize to the Confessor Nation -- and to Greggo -- for this alarming post.

I invite knowledgeable Confessors to enlighten this site.  Many thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you should post things about Greggo. Last week, I heard the BaD radio boys talking off the cuff about Josh being up against them at the Fan. So, I switched over to check it out. This was the Friday before The Fan went to the schedule, so it was still the Richie-Greggo show, whatever they call it.

    The topic was, "Greggo's reaction at going up against the Hardline" He had 3 to choose from, 1. F' em, 2. indifference, 3. wait and see.

    All the other personalities felt F'em at the little Ticket was the correct response. They were talking big and acting as though they would be Marconi nominees next year.

    Then, it was Greggo's turn to comment. He sounded coherent, and like you said Plainsman, somewhat like his old self. He gave lots of credit and respect to Galloway, as his old mentor at WBAP, and really said some respectful things about Mike Rhyner. In fact, the other folks tried to egg him on a bit, but he did not bite. I was proud of Greggo and impressed, he easily could have gone off.

    Now, had he gone off on The Ticket, he would have been roasted for it. They will never compete over there.

    In the end, Greggo was of the wait and see attitude. He felt that they had a huge hill to climb, but said his goal was to do everything he could to beat them.

    I do however, miss Greggo, mainly because my favorite Gordo character is fake Greggo. There have been many times I have almost had to pull off the road laughing so hard at a fake Greggo bit.

    ReplyDelete