ITEM: An hour each of The Musers and The Hardline suffered a loss to competitors on other sports stations. (Barry Horn report here.)
(1) Agree with those who urge not reading too much into that. Recall that BaD showed a similar dip not long ago, and it turned out to be a one-book phenomenon, although truth to tell I haven't done the Internet research. I just haven't heard that it repeated. The severe dip for that one hour of The Musers looks especially anomalous. So yeah, just sort of massage your butts lightly for now.
(2) Agree with those who think that this might well have animated Checkout Mike to show greater interest in his show and guest appearances on other Ticket offerings, the latter of which had become a severe embarrassment to him and the station in recent years. You can be a curmudgeon on your own show, but his is-he-really-there? appearances on other shows, pre-games, and round tables had started to suggest something approaching a lack of respect for the rest of the station.
(3) My guess is that Jeff Catlin did not lecture anyone about stepping up his game as a result of this ratings book. No inside info here; just tidbits I pick make me think that with the exception of correcting seriously bad behavior, The Pan-American Catman is fairly hands-off with individual performances. Also, these guys probably see the ratings the minute Cat does -- they don't need any additional motivation.
(4) The Musers' dip was in a heavy Gordon-inflected hour. Confessors know that I am a Gordon admirer, but in recent months I have wished for less juvenilia/sex talk/perversion talk/political talk and more of anything else.
(5) Confessors also know that I am not a Corby basher, but after a comeback from severe OverCorby/Checkout Mike a couple of years back, The Hardline has noticeably backslid into lassitude, severe misogyny (I thought that had left the building with Greg Williams), and, well, OverCorby/Checkout Mike. (I don't have a big issue with Danny's participation most of the time, with a big carveout for current-events talk, where he's dog-paddling with Corby in the low-information punditry fever swamps.)
(6) Confession: I'm one of the ones who is tuning into Mosley and Cowlishaw more and more. Switch back and forth. (Sorry, KT, just can't warm up to Ben & Skin.) They're off the air at 6, so I usually get me some solid slabs of late-show Hardline, but from 3:30-6, while I always start with The Hardline and most of the time find something to engage me, it's taking less and less for me to dial in the next preset down the dial.
|"Sorry, Mike and Corby. More than three vagina references per show sends me to Tim and Matt every time."|