Wednesday, July 18, 2018

My World Has Been Shattered -- The End of MTC?


Craig Miller -- the one they call "Junior," sometimes "the Joonz" -- committed an error this morning.

I stared at the radio, my piehole agape.

I'm not sure I can go on.

One's existence has so few certainties in this uncertain world.  I thought Craig's freedom from error was among them.

In this, I was apparently also in error.

He corrected the error, more or less, in the next segment.  But his correction indicated that he did not understand his error.

He was reprising the flat-earth guy from the day before.  He reported that the flat-earth guy had said that the moon always shows the same side to the earth.

Craig -- excuse me, I have to go get a glass of water -- scoffed.  He said that of course we see the moon rotate and show all of its surface area to the earth.  It's why we can't always see the man in the moon, he said.

I'm thinking -- his phone must be melting.

And indeed, in the next segment, he issued a correction, but he didn't understand it.  He had been advised in the interim that the moon in fact, always does show its same side to the earth owing to a tidal phenomenon (it's called "tidal locking").  (In fact, there's a slight rotational wobble ("libration") that lets us see a little more than half of the moon's surface from the earth because its orbit is not perfectly circular.)   What froze his mind was this:  The moon's rotational period around its axis (spinning) is equal to its period of revolution around the earth (orbiting).   So what? he seemed to be saying; he still did not understand why we did not see the moon rotate so as to see all its surface.

It's because we view the rotation and the revolution at the same time from our vantage point here on terra firma.   Instead, let's expand our frame of reference -- out to the sun, for example.  (Yes, I know you can't stand on the sun.  The old joke:  "I want to be the first man on the sun."  "It's too hot."  "I'll go at night.")  Imagine you're on the sun looking back at the earth and the moon.  Now remove the earth from the picture to eliminate the distraction.  What do you see?  You see the moon rotating on its axis every 27 days and showing you all of its faces -- and it will always be full because the sun is what makes the moon shine.

Which leads us to the question of why Junior thinks that you can't always see the man in the moon.  It's not because he isn't there, having rotated out of sight -- it's because the moon's rotation with respect to the sun just described causes its phases from our vantage point on earth, so some of that always-facing-the-earth-surface disappears and reappears every month.   Or else it gets eaten and then spit back up by a space monster, I'm not sure.

I'll leave you with a fun moon fact.  The moon is the largest planetary satellite in the solar system as a percentage of the size of its planet.  It is the only natural planetary satellite in the solar system whose orbit always curves towards the sun.   That is, if you were to go way, way north of the sun's north pole and look down on the solar system, and then took the earth away and looked at the path of the moon's orbit over the course of the year, you would see that the moon's orbit would look like a twelve-sided thing where the sides curved gently toward the sun, and the corners curve more sharply toward the sun.  But none of that path would ever curve away from the sun. The earth and moon are, in effect, something of a double planet.

I'm going to go lie down.  Feeling unwell.  May be last article.




35 comments:

  1. However confused Craig may have been, I am now exponentially more confused than that after reading that description. My brain is now thoroughly mush, but hopefully yours isn’t too destroyed to continue running the site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I suddenly have a mental image of Mr. Burns.....

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Burns

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's comforting to know that Corby would boo Josh Hader if he were at a Brewers game. But would he boo to the tune of "Easter Loves the Black Man?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Listening to the pc princess Corby wailing on this young baseball player. You can tell little drama boy is wishing the worst on this kid. Wishing I could be as perfect as Corby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do Burns all the time.

    Beats "awesome."

    And if you will cue the Vivaldi, please, I will disclose to you that he and I share an alma mater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yalie? Vivaldi couldn’t even do that one justice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, I hate to say it, as the Musers always have been and will always be my favorite show, and I am in no way a flat-earther, but the Musers were WAY OUT OF THEIR LEAGUE in debating this guy. Junior and Jub have zero conspiracy-debunking experience and gorda thought he was going to apply some JFK-single bullet defrocking to this guy and it was just a big FAIL. "What about...what about...what about...what about..."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Samlale had been doing Tickers on the Muser showgram this week. But today it's his (real or maybe only reputed for the sake of the bit) nemesis Sam Madison.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought I would long for Charlie Gray and his dreadful bits on behalf of Meador. Until Cirro Energy began running the most moronic commercials I believe I have ever heard. I feel sorry for the AA woman who is being made to say "I'm down with that," and the woman who wants to name her company "Pam Power." But the worst is the entire conceit of the ad, which is that the interviewer is delighted to find, upon entering the preferences of these unfortunate women, that the computer reveals that there is exactly one company that embodies those preferences. How can one be embarrassed sitting in a car all by oneself? Listening to these ads accomplishes that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I respectfully disagree with your assessment, 9:21. Jub didn't seem like he had much to say at all so I can't really fault him for that. Junes seemed to act more in a moderator role than trying to debate a position. Gordo was the only one really engaging in any sort of debate, and I thought he did a good job of pointing out the man's many logical fallacies.

    I found the segments interesting in demonstrating the mind set of those prone to conspiracy theories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hate to say it, but that beautiful voice of Kevin McCarthy sounds like it's getting a little thin. Hate to say it because we are the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent Donovan/Sirois interview with Lincoln Coleman this morning, although he was so articulate and interesting that there wasn't much for them to do. But a fascinating man, I thought. He was before my Cowboy time, so interesting both from a Dallas-sports and personal-story standpoint. Kudos to whoever brought him in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One would think a man of Kevin's stature in life could afford a better sounding cell phone.
    A lot of his "sound" had to do with the microphones used and the studio construction. After the KLIF days, he and David Gold moved over to WBAP. They sounded nothing like they did at KLIF. Kevin still does the Car Pro show there on Saturdays and Gold was doing nights for a while. That's what David told me a few years ago on his discussion board. Equipment and processing make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a gent who has done a spot of recording and live work, you are so right, Gopher. However, I do have to agree with 1202 that McCarthy was sounding a little moist this morning in ways that are no accounted for by hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Coriolis force can NOT be explained in Mr. Flat Earthers flat disc model. His is a world with no hemispheres. Of course the Coriolis deflection is to the right in the N Hemisphere and to the Left south of the Equator. Try to replicate the opposite C force in his world. You cant - the deflection would be the same direction on the entire disc depending on which direction he thinks the disc is spinning, if indeed his tard brain thinks its spinning.

    I cant take these science illiterate conspiracy theorists

    ReplyDelete
  16. People let their 10 and 13 old kids watch Step Brothers and Old School and wonder why their kids turned out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. People let their 10 and 13 old kids watch Step Brothers and Old School.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Even the Old Grey Wolf couldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is the North Texas P-1 being well served by every show's mandatory segment about the heat?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Justin and Tim K -- good show today.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We need a 30 for 30 on dallas desperadoes.. I remember jub and Greggo did their pxp. Why did they fold?

    ReplyDelete
  22. From Wikipedia: "The franchise began play in 2002 as an expansion team, and have posted a winning record in all but one of their seasons in existence. The team was owned by Jerry Jones, who also owns the Dallas Cowboys. Jones' son-in-law Shy Anderson was the COO of the team, and oversaw the day-to-day operations of the franchise.

    "The team folded effective August 4, 2009, upon the dissolving of the original AFL. Unlike most AFL teams, Jones maintains the intellectual property rights to the Desperados."

    [AFL = Arena Football League.]

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous Anonymous said...
    Julie in as permanent replacement for TC. I bet that ruffled a few feathers. How did Justin get passed over for this gig? I assume he applied for it.

    July 2, 2018 at 8:54 AM
    Anonymous Anonymous said...
    Good for Julie. I'd bet a substantial amount that Justin sees himself as host material, and only host material. And unlike most of the rest of the JV, he has a, no pun intended, golden parachute. In short, he can afford to hang about and wait.

    July 2, 2018 at 9:19 AM


    Can we discuss the new additions further? We can omit the Fahy tangent if necessary.
    I can't speak to Ham, he already has a nickname, on the Top Ten because I haven't heard it but what I have heard of him he seems at least marginally competent and not immediately annoying so he's probably ok.

    Julie. Ok, I am going to state that I am biased already in her favor. I am familiar with her work with the Stars and think she did a good job of it. Had good questions and a clue. It is good to have a clue, she appears to be in possession of one or two.

    dishes talk and kids
    gunk,
    yep I think she will be fine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cactus, them edibles kicked in nice-like didn't they, pal? You bet they did.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Corby
    - The Equalizer was based on a show from the 80’s.
    - The “first” A Star is Born was not the one with Kristofferson and Babs.
    - Guardians of the Galaxy didn’t use music that was like REO Speedwagon.
    Why do I listen? Whyyyyy??? Oh, wait, they’re gonna talk about Tiger next. Yessssssss.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Loved Edward Woodward and his disreputable buddies in that joint.

    Loved Janet Gaynor in that joint.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Corby has been corrected once before on "A Star Is Born." The original did not occur in his lifetime, so he could give two you-know-what's about it. Not his jam, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Bro, know what else isn't his jam? Having a radio show!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I got out of my car an hour ago when Corby started this Fenway story. I just got back in, and he's still yapping about it! What a blowhard!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm sure Corby's Fenway encounter with the Foo Fighters via the guy named Brett from the Old 97s caused many a punch-out. A typical Corby celebrity-sniffing story. His kick-ass life, our more nudge-ass life.

    I've cringed at those stories in the past.

    But I gotta tell you, I enjoyed that segment, or was it segments? (I was in and out.) The inside baseball on the backstage stuff, the stories of the big stars' normality and niceness -- I dunno, I just liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Do you think Mike and Danny really like it or are they just playing along?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Maybe Corby should start a blog where he can keep us all updated on his kick-ass life. Save on-air segments for stuff that isn't an automatic punch out.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think Mike and Danny like it because they move in that world -- the fringes of celebrity -- themselves. If anything, they're a lot more "inside" the backstage stuff than Corby.

    ReplyDelete